POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Have I missed something? : Re: Have I missed something? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Have I missed something?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Oct 2008 15:06:23
Message: <48f0f92f@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> The job market in the UK must be very different it both here and US.
> Probably close to half of the programming jobs I see these days ask for C#.

Most of the jobs I've seen can be roughly classified thus:

- We program toasters (so we want C).
- We write "serious" applications (so we want C or maybe C++).
- We write "custom business applications" (so we want VB / VBA or maybe
Java).
- We write web applications, so we want JavaScript / Perl / PHP.

> Thing with .net is that if you're working on a machines that has the
> .net framework installed (and I believe everything past XP does by
> default), you won't know that you're running a .net app. It's not like
> Java where you can see the VM running in task manager (or sometimes have
> a popup in the task bar). That's how it's supposed to be. It's supposed
> to be seamless and to not bother the end user with anything they don't
> need to know.

"Everything past XP" meaning "only the latest bleeding edge OS that
nobody is using yet"?

Anyway, I know that the .NET framework is an absolutely *huge* download
and it takes hours to install. I know this because we have _one_ obscure
application at work which demands .NET 1.1 be installed. This takes many
times longer than installing the application itself. (Roughly 45 minutes
or so of HD thrashing.)

> I know your machine has .net on because we've had conversations before
> on free C# compilers and I recall you finding the framework folder.

I don't recall that conversation, but anyway... my PC has never had it
until now. (It has it *now* because I just installed MS Visual Studio,
and the first thing it does is install this unwanted component.)

>> (I thought ASP was some kind of scripting language. I didn't realise
>> it had anything to do with .NET.)
>
> It's a server-side dynamic page setup like php. It uses the .net
> framework on the server. .aspx pages are asp.net, pages with just the
> .asp extension are the older-style asp (active server pages)
> ASP.NET pages are written in one of the .net languages, most commonly C#
> or VB)

Well aren't you a mine of information? :-D

> Most of the developers I know personally work in C#. I'd put it up with
> Java, php, perl and C++ for popularity and usage, and that's not just
> hobbyist.
> It's far more used than VB or delphi. (and most VB these days is VB.NET
> anyway)

Isn't Delphi also long since dead? I haven't even heard its name
mentioned in years...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/